Tuesday 2 February 2010

Brean Down is brilliant

It has been a while since my last update but I have been doing plenty of hardcore exercise and whatnot.

I went to Cheddar Gorge on the 28th and it was absolutely frigid but I still managed to tick off a few of the routes on Arch Rock, including my first Trad climb ever.
All pretty easy grades around 6a or so but the E1 somewhat brightened my day (only 3 grades left to E4) :-P

And yesterday I went out with Ben to Brean Down.
The guidebook absolutely slams the area but I feel it makes a favourable comparison to Portland on the south coast. It is well sheltered from the wind and some of the climbs are pretty darn good.
It definitely isn't an area for the beginner though- only one climb below 6b but many quality lines above this grade and up to 8b.
I managed to tick quite a lot during the hours we were there, including:

Coral Sea F6c
Chepito F7a
Kraken
F6c

and a flash of
The Root of Inequity
F7a+

Overall pretty good going I think.
I might be going back on Wednesday if the weather cheers up and possibly getting on El Choco (7c) as a challenge.
Apparently 7a+ climbing up to a roof then a tough mantle thing off the left hand.
Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment